Paleo Hot Chocolate

I love dark chocolate. LOVE. My day is not complete without a handful of Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips. It is my ardent hope that my "mansion just over the hilltop" will include an eternal supply of chocolate, guacamole, chips, and salsa. Luckily, dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants and is a great source of fiber, iron, magnesium, copper, and manganese.  

I am always trying to find ways to incorporate chocolate into our paleo lifestyle, and hot chocolate is a quick and easy way to do that.

Paleo Hot Chocolate
Yields 4-6 servings
  • 3 Tablespoons honey or agave nectar
  • 3 Tablespoons coconut sugar
  • 1 can (1 1/3 cup) coconut milk 
  • 2 2/3 cups almond milk
  • 6 Tablespoons cocoa powder (Ghirardelli is the best!)
  • 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract

  1. Whisk together the honey, coconut sugar, coconut milk, and almond milk in a small saucepan. Sift the cocoa powder into the mixture to remove any clumps.
  2. Place over medium-low heat until cocoa and sugar are dissolved. 
  3. Increase heat to medium heat, whisking occasionally, until it is hot. Stir in the vanilla and serve.

Any paleo sweeteners will work for this recipe. I used coconut sugar in addition to the honey because of the flavor imparted by the coconut sugar. It has a flavor reminiscent of caramel or molasses and adds a little something special to the hot chocolate. Feel free to reduce the sugar if you'd like. As you will quickly learn on this blog, I have a sweet tooth and have to find ways to satisfy it within the confines of the paleo existence. So when I do allow myself something decadent and sweet, I go all out. I don't do it often, so I figure I might as well make it worth my while when I do!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paleo Tortillas

Paleo Pumpkin Muffins (Grain and Dairy Free)

Classic Gluten-Free Brownies